Shaggy Ink Caps

This is a very common lawn mushroom.  Supposedly, it’s edible, but I’m not tempted to eat something that dissolves into an inky black goop after a couple of hours, are you?  Remember kids, never eat a mushroom in the wild unless you are 100% positive on its identity and you are an experienced mushroom hunter.

Shaggy ink cap (Coprinus comatus) when it first emerges

Shaggy ink cap (Coprinus comatus) when it first emerges

Shaggy ink cap after it has inked

Shaggy ink cap after it has inked

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “Shaggy Ink Caps

  1. Actually this was the first wild mushroom I ever ate, as a teenager, because it’s so distinctive I was sure of the identity. You have to eat the young caps before they have begun to open and they are really quite nice in an omelette. No ink is produced when they are fried young 🙂

  2. Like a lot of things . . . they get . . . curmudgeonly when they get older! Can actual ink be made from them, or are they just black and gooey?

  3. Ewww! Learn something new every day! Just a little squeamish at the notion of “autodigestion”. How could something like that develop? It’s doesn’t sound too helpful to the mushroom, does it?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: